Tuesday 24 August 2010

Want vs. need

shopaholic

Autumn is here and it’s time to fill the wardrobe with lovely things: clothes, bags, shoes, other accessories. Magazines are telling us how we should dress in order to be trendy, and the shop windows try to tempt us with fabulous outfits. Buy. Buy. Buy. Many of us like to be pretty, shopping is considered therapy, and planning our outfits before going out is almost as fun as actually going out. So we buy a little more. For some people, fashion is a way of expressing themselves. Others just participate in the race like headless chicken because they think that they should look like everyone else. Or because they would like to look like someone else. Originality is not a sin. And the ability to re-discover one’s own ´closet is a true skill. Think of all the clothes you already own, the things you’ve only worn once or twice. Because really, how much clothes does a human being actually need? Lately I have been realising something: shopping is not as much fun as it used to be, and at the end of the day: there’s little meaning in it. Instead of spending my money on stuff that I sort of like, I’d rather challenge my barely existing creative streak and start combining the clothes I already have. Then maybe on rare occasions I can treat myself to something that I really love.

The clothes are horrible, but I really adore Isla Fisher’s hair! The photo is borrowed.

3 comments:

knickknacks said...

Good luck with re-discovering your closet!:) Came to the States with minimal clothing (darn airlines and their luggage restrictions!) so I will actually have to build up my wardrobe again! ;)

PorkStar said...

We dudes dont really have that much trouble either especially as we get older...

Saves us more money too

Zsuzsi said...

knickknacks: heh, you are lucky, girl!

PorkStar: you are also lucky, but for other reasons :) However, don't men use their money on other stuff instead, like... cars or other fancy stuff?