Wednesday 29 September 2010

Demonstrations or football?

Today there is supposedly a general strike going on in Spain: I say supposedly because apart from my boyfriend staying at home and making me lunch, I have not noticed anything different from the usual. Earlier when we went for a walk everything was open and people seemed to be going on about their business as if it was any other day. I’ve been told that quite a few people would like to participate in the strike but that they are too afraid of being fired. To me that sounds bad, but then again, who am I to comment and criticise since I’m not a citizen and I’m not even working here (well, technically I am, but that’s another story).

I’ve also heard that the demonstration is due to start at 7 p.m. Why? Wouldn’t it be more logical to organise it at noon when people are supposed to be striking? And then there’s the "unexpected" event: Valencia is playing against Manchester United in Valencia tonight, so I wonder how many people will actually choose a demonstration over football? I will ignore them all and have dinner with a good friend.

1 comment:

Le Hamster Ruso said...

La manifestación es a las 19:00h, pero el partido a las 20:45h. Se puede acudir a las dos cosas :)