Thursday 11 June 2015

Oma maa mansikka, muu maa mustikka*

Hi again!

Istanbul was fantastic, and now I'm home with a tan, sore feet and two more days to go of my summer holidays (+ the weekend). Just realized that we will be away for at least the three upcoming weekends, so I'm quite forced to do laundry. Woop!

Anyway, Istanbul. It was (in no specific order): huge, chaotic, colourful, friendly, loud, smelly, disorganized, hilly, historical, cozy, upsetting and quite amazing. I believe that I had to confront some of my prejudices as well, so it was a useful trip from that perspective. Our timing was perfect, on Sunday there were parliamentary elections in Turkey so I had the opportunity to ruminate upon the campaigns (without understanding any of it). Speaking of the language, I don't like the sound of Turkish at all when spoken. In music it is a beautiful language, and written Turkish looks like a lot of fun, but it just sounds very strange to me.  And we walked over 90K during these days, I'm quite happy I only have one blister on my left foot.

These are just some random thoughts - there will be more, so stay tuned!

The Galata Tower



* In Finnish, "home sweet home" becomes "own country strawberry, other country blueberry". I personally prefer blueberries, so I do not really get this. 

No comments: